Saturday, November 11, 2017

The week in North Myrtle Beach

Monday, 11/6
     This morning was very busy.  Pete worked with George via phone, while I took my 2-mile walk. When I got back to the boat, we untied the lines and moved to the main dock for fuel and pump out.  Pete continued to work under the gun until about 2. Then it was time to organize and pack before the driver from Enterprise arrived to take Pete to get his rental car.
     While Pete was working, a gentleman stopped by. He though we might have engine problems and offered assistance as a diesel mechanic. He lives here at the resort and we chatted for a while.
     I spent the afternoon updating and uploading the blog.  I had to get it done while Pete was still here, and I had the internet access through the JetPack, which travels with him for work.  Even though the marina advertises internet service, it works only on the main dock.  They are getting a better system later this month, but that doesn’t help now.
     Around 4:30, Pete left for Charleston airport, 2 hours away. Shortly after he left, I was checking my phone and saw that our daughter-in -law, Kelli, gave us a heads’ up that our good friend, Carolyn, fell in her garden and broke her hip.  I was able to speak with Carolyn and she is going to have surgery in the next day or two. What a bummer! Even though there are hundreds of miles separating us, I will be there for her as she was there for me earlier this year.

Tuesday, 11/7
     After Bailey and I took our walk, I spent most of the day reorganized things. I cleaned up photos on my phone and organized other folders, then continued on the computer.
     Pete’s flight left at 6:50 this morning, which meant that he has been up since 4 am Eastern time.  He made a mistake choosing to fly economy and he couldn’t even reserve his seating choice.  As a result, both legs of the flight were miserable; middle and window seats, when he prefers the roomier isle seating.
     Around 4:30, I as I walked Bailey, I met Kitty.  She invited me to join them for cocktails aboard SV TAMURE. Kitty and Scott are from Norwalk, CT.  They have circumnavigated the world twice, plus completed the Atlantic Circle. They had such wonderful stories to share (including being aboard their 32-foot sail boat during the strongest hurricane recorded in Fiji in the 70’s and working with the indigenous peoples of South America.) Joining us was Mike and Tina of SV CHEROKA, out of Ontario. They were the couple who helped us into the dock at Belhaven. This is their first cruise. As they entered the US, they found themselves (and his brother’s boat) heading down the Niagara River and, yes, towards the falls a few miles downstream!  They turned around once they realized their mistake, but with a 10 knot current they couldn’t make headway.  They had to use Tow Boat. The other couple were Elaine and Jeff, from MV ANEGADA DA VIDA, Greenwich Bay, RI. They have cruised the east coast a few times and they hope to make it back to the Bahamas after the first of the year. The two hours went very fast and an enjoyable time was had by all.
     I returned to PEKABU to fill the water tanks and to reheat my dinner. After dinner, I talked with Pete.  Today was long and intense, and tomorrow will be more of the same.  Pete and George their business and I am sure that the solution they wind up with will be great for their client.
     Bailey has been taking the same stick for a walk since Sunday.  Today, she exchanged it for one that had been pulled from the water and been placed on our dock.  She’s so proud of her sticks! As to her ears, their eruptions seem to be cyclic.  The ears improve and then get worse.  The vasculitis, according to the vet, feels a bit like pins and needles.  Her shaking of the head from time to time, breaks off large pieces of scab, exposing new, raw areas.  Right now, we seem to be in a declining period.  She is so good about taking the pills and allowing the application of the cream twice a day.  I just wish it would clear up.
  
Wednesday, 11/8
    We had some rain and wind overnight.  During our walk, I checked with the dock master to see if my external storage has arrived.  I finally max out the terabyte of storage on my old portable hard drive. It hadn’t yet, but today's delivery should be sometime after 11. 
    I had offered to help TAMUR and CHEROKA cast off, but they left a little before 9.  It seems a lot of boats are trying to get farther south before the rains come tomorrow. These two a heading down to Osprey Point Marina to wait out the weather.
     Kyle, the dock hand, had stopped around 11 with my package.  I spent most of the day organizing photos in LightRoom. It was just the tip of the ice berg.  I want to cull out tons of duplicate and poor photos, and organize them in LR database. I am hoping once we are docked for the 2 months in Riviera Beach, I will be able to make a sizable dent in the work. 
     I was even able to catch up with some friends and one of my sisters today. I miss Pete, but when he travels, I seems to be more productive.

Thursday, 11/9
     Set my alarm so that I could walked Bailey before the heavy rains came. Good thing I did. We were back to the boat only 20 minutes when the heavy rains came. Knowing it was going to pour all day, I thoroughly cleaned the boat. Poor Bailey, she couldn’t find a good spot to stay out of my way. Things out of place, were placed where they belong so I was moving all around the boat all day. Since I have also been successful using up the leftovers and small food items in the fridge, it was a good time to defrost it.  It might have been a poor day to be on the water (only 2 boats headed south, and no boats was added to the marina) but it was a very successful day on board.
     Pete and George are taking the red-eye home tonight.  Pete has already accepted that he will not get any sleep as he has the middle seat again.
    When I took Bailey for her final walk, the rains finally stopped and the air is crisp, clear, and clean.  If it were warmer, I would have loved to open the hatches, but I’m not crazy.  It is supposed to be in the low 40’s by morning.

Friday, 11/10
     Bailey and I resumed our longer morning walks. Once back, I defrosted the freezer.  While it was defrosting, I made up a quick reference sheet of all our stops on the cruise, including miles including notes on inlets from which we might be able to “jump” for ocean passages as a way of shortening the travel time.  We planned to be in West Palm Beach by Thanksgiving, However, with my medical appointments in Florida being over 2 weeks instead of 4 days, it pushed things back.  Weather delays as well as Pete trip to California have also pushed things further behind.  Once Pete has recouped and slept, I let him to do calculations to see if it is possible. We can’t do jumps if they are longer than 12 hours due to Bailey.  She is not trained to take care of business on board.  Even if any are feasible, it will depend on the weather when the time comes for the jump.
     I went over and started 2 loads of laundry, then jumped into the shower.  It is wonderful to have water over head when washing hair!  When I returned to the laundry to switch the loads into the dryer, I was joined by Shirley.  They arrived earlier today. She and her husband live in Toms River, NJ, joined the “dark side” about 2 years ago. They gave up their 30-foot Hunter for a 32-foot Juneau Swift Trawler, traveling between the Chesapeake and Fort Meyers, FL.  Not a bad way to travel.
      As I took Bailey for her before dinner walk, we passed the gate for A-Dock.  There was a beautiful young boxer at the gate definitely wanting to play.  The gate is at the top of a flexible ramp that attaches to the floating dock, and sits about 10 -12 feet lower than the gate. There is no space to play. As we continued our walk, the boxer ran along the cement capstone of the sea wall.  It is only 18 inches wide and I was worried that she would fall.  Thankfully, nothing bad happened and we returned to the boat. Knowing Pete would be home by seven, I made sure dinner would be ready
     As predicted, Pete didn’t sleep on the flight last night.  Before sunrise, George drove him to the marina to pick up our car.  He then started driving south on 95.  Thankfully, he missed all the traffic.  He drove to Charleston, deposited our car at the airport long term parking and retrieved the rental car from Monday. (Our car will stay in long term parking until we get to Florida.) He was here at the marina by 7. After a hardy dinner, he made himself comfortable on the couch and napped until it was time to head to bed.

 Saturday, 11/11
     It was 34 degrees at 7 this morning. The coldest we have experienced this fall.  Hopefully, the next few mornings will be a bit warmer.
     Pete was able to sleep until 8.  The plans were to stop for groceries and West Marine before returning the rental car by noon.  Pete suggested that we go out for breakfast.  He knows that it is my favorite meal to eat out.   Besides being delicious, somehow it sets the tone for the entire day. We were able to do everything planned and Pete returned the car by 11:50. Unfortunately, there was no staff to drive him back to the marina, but a customer offered to drop him nearby as he was coming that way. It was a longer walk than he anticipated from Route 17 back to the marina, but it gave me time to stow all the provisions and clean up by the time Pete arrived back at the boat. 
     Thankfully, the marina was OK with us staying another day. When I went up to pay the balance, I was pleasantly surprised that we owed $17.20 for the extra night’s dockage.  The discount now kicked in for the total number of days.
     It was a nice relaxing afternoon of reading and updating the blog.  Pete read for most of the afternoon until the temperature began to drop. Once inside, he did the engine checks, tried to repair the printer, which no longer prints in color, and cleaned out 2 flashlights where the batteries corroded. I am sure that after dinner, we will call it an early night.  We will be departing for Georgetown shortly after sunrise.


No comments:

Post a Comment