Sunday, January 28, 2018

Windy in Key Largo!

     Thursday, 1/25 - After Bailey was walked, we went over for the free breakfast at the hotel.  It has change somewhat in seven years.  The toaster waffles are no longer, instead there is cereal, milk, juice, repackaged bagels, prepackaged muffins, and prepackage Danish, available with the offerings of butter, cream cheese, and jellies, with coffee, tea and hot coco to round out the offerings. As breakfasts go, it is ok, but the chance to meet people and view are pretty great. With limited seating, we were able to sit with Polly and her husband, Don, and visit over breakfast.
Bailey waiting for Pete
     The harbormaster, Brian, stopped by today to say “Hi.”  Accompanying him was the most adorable 9-week old beagle puppy. Without a leash, he simply followed Brian as he made his rounds. Pete and Bailey got to see the puppy. I am looking forward to meeting him.
Bath Time
     Pete decided that Bailey needed a bath, so she was washed in the cockpit.  She wasn’t very happy when Pete joined me below and she had to dry off in the cockpit.
     After some chores, I worked on some photos and catching up the blog.  The internet is pretty poor; only have 1 bar. Hopefully, I will be able to update the blog.  Once everything is ready, I might go sit on the patio outside the lobby, where the internet might be better.
      We invited another couple, who are vacationing here at the hotel, on board to answer a few questions. Unfortunately, I lost the paper where I wrote down their names.  They are here for a short, 8-day escape from the Michigan winters.  They, too, are sailors; enjoying summers on an Irwin 32.  They were very interested in discussion long-term cruising and living aboard.  We spent a wonderful hour and a half visiting. We gave them some resources and our card, inviting them to keep in touch.
Cool condensation on the crock pot
     After dinner, we watched some TV and I was surprised to learn that we are able to see some additional channels on DISH.  Pete started watching Star Trek Voyager on BBC America. (It was the 2-part episode of the temporary alliance with the Borg and the introduction of Seven of Nine.) According to our package information, we should not have access.  After Voyager, Pete and I checked additional stations and found that we have 10 additional channels, including Discovery, Discovery Investigations and Science, some of our favorites!
Views from our dock
      Friday, 1/26 - As to the winds, the local weather has the winds sustained at 29 mph, but Passage Weather has them just outside the canals at 33 in Hawk Channel. Safe in the harbor, the boat rocks gently and moves from side to side. Walking around the harbor, the winds feel like 15-20, but once on the outer side of the hotels, the winds is substantial. With the front hatch open about 2 inches and the cabin hatch also open about 6 inches, there was a wonderful breeze that accompanied the gentle rocking of the boat all night, which is great for sleeping. Boy, did we make the right choice booking a slip here!  We would not want to be anchored by Rodriguez Key with no protection from the winds and waves, and 1.5-mile dinghy ride to take Bailey to shore. It looks like we will be able to get to Marathon on Monday and hopefully, to Stock Island on Tuesday. Currently, for Tuesday, they are predicting NNE winds at 20. PEKABU likes sailing in 18-20, but we will definitely continue keeping an eye on the weather.
 
Different ages of Iguana
soaking up the heat
 
Who's who's pet?
   Pete pulled the lower access to the anchor windless to check on a leak we have successfully managed with a sheet of plastic. A web search, showed Pete what gasket needs replacement. It has been ordered and will be installed once we are in Key West.
    I have been thinking about Dorine, John and Cindy, and where SV DOLCE VENTE has hunkered down for this blow. I spoke with Cindy and they are safe, but rocking a bit in the dock in Marathon.  We will touch base before arriving in Marathon. Besides Cindy, I was able to catch up with Betty and Carolyn, as well as Heather.  Pete spoke with Dan and got the updates on Martha.  Thankfully, everyone is doing well or in Martha’s case, as well as expected. (Martha, we are sending healing hugs!)
Sharkey's Pub at night

    The blog is almost up to date and the photos still need processing. Hopefully, tomorrow I will be able to start posting.  Fingers crossed!

     Saturday, 1/27 - Due to the head tank being more full than we thought, we have been using the on boater’s bathroom, which is adding to my daily steps!  Unfortunately, the Pup boat only comes around on Tuesday. Since it is free, there is no other competition, and no chance for a pump-out any other time!
     At breakfast, we sat with a couple recently retired and driving all over , visiting friends.  They are here for the week.  They, too are boaters on the Erie River in Ohio, between Cleveland and Chagrin Falls. Once again it was great to share experiences with others.
     Pete enjoyed some down time and read.  As usual, there is more people watching than reading, but who’s complaining?!?  I worked on the bog. It was almost ready for posting, when I hit a wrong key and wiped out most of 3 day’s entries.  After a lot of grumbling, I reconstructed the missing days.
     Bailey loves our spot here on the bulkhead.   She gets to greet everyone who goes by.  All dogs are met with wagging tales and heavy huffing.  There is frequent activity.
     I enjoyed my 2.75 mile work. I walked the streets for the homes along the canal.  I love how the mailboxes are so different.  Glad I had the trusty camera on the phone.  I even included a walk past the some of the shops along the highway. . . and I felt good when I returned, even walking into the 20+ winds!
  

  
Wonderful Mailboxes, but here are 2 views of my favorite:
   
     I had a lot of photos to weed thru.  I have been using my phone camera a lot, which I must stop.  The quality is compromised, but it is lighter and quicker, especially when moving in the boat or car.
     There was a character earlier today, who spent a couple of hours walking the docks, sitting on the wall and “checking” the power boxes on the docks as well as the boats in this area of the canal.  The harbor master and Tom both asked questions about him.  Thankfully, he went away and nothing was touched.
     Tom came aboard and visited for over an hour.  He had to leave to meet friends for dinner.
     With Sharkey’s cooking for most of the afternoon, the mouth-watering aromas really made us hungry, so home-made hamburgers and salads were really enjoyed.
     After dinner I had hoped to start posting.  Unfortunately, I started on a migraine that I babied instead.  I did take the migraine medicine, but forgot it has caffeine.  The headache didn’t progress into the moderate pain levels, but the caffeine kept me awake until 5 am!

Sunday, 1/28 – I did sleep until 8:30. I am tired, but little pain. So, it was off to breakfast.  We joined Tom and continued our visit from yesterday.
     Sharkey’s has been cooking bacon and home fires since 5 am.  The aromas are driving us crazy.  Apparently, they were providing food for the Breast Cancer fund raiser that kicked off at 10 am.  We were entertained by all the people walking by the boat dressed in strange costumes and bright colored and decorated bras on the outside of their clothes. The gals, guys, kids and even the dogs wore their bras proudly! 
   
    Pete did the engine checks while I processed a bunch of photos and prepped to post.  Unfortunately, by 2 pm, I needed to catch a few Z’s.  After 90 minutes, I was able to return and try to get internet access. I am so glad, Pete has the JetPak for internet access.  With the exception of this entry, the other 5 are posted as drafts. Now to add the photos.  We will see how far I get.  Once again, my fingers are crossed.  I won’t be working late as we plan to be up and out before nautical twilight.
      I worked up until 9.  I was able most of the photographs and get 4 posts uploaded to the blog.  Hope sleep comes quickly as the alarm is set for 5:30 am.  Nite all!

~ ~ ~ /) ~ ~  K & P

No comments:

Post a Comment