Thursday, October 24, 2019

Travel Day 10 ~ Mile Hammock, to Carolina Beach, NC

Current gods looked favorably
upon PEKABU today!
     Today's travels started after the 9 AM conference call.  He had to wait for the opening of the Figure Eight Bridge.  As usual, I watched his progress on what Pete calls the "Lurker App."  I saw him north of the Wrightsville Beach Bridge and thought he missed the opening.  The time stamp on the app was 3:06 pm and he was north of the bridge.  When I called him to confirm, he said that he made the opening no problem.  Apparently my app hadn't updated until after I spoke with Pete.
     Our conversation was not what I expected.  Even with all the work done on the alternator /regulator in Maryland and South Port, SC, the batteries are not charging and the RPMs and charging gauges are not functioning.  He heard back from Rob at Dependable.  There is a minor adjustment that should take care of the problem, but it is very tricky.  If not done properly, it will fry the generator. AS Pete researched, he also found that silicon lube might take care of the problem.
Pete saw this on Facebook today.
  It reminded him of how I feel
once I make up the aft cabin bed!
We need it when Paul comes.
     As we caught up on the day, Pete confirmed that his friend, Paul, will be joining him in Charleston  for a week beginning next Wednesday, to make the outside jump to Florida.  I am glad that he will have company for that ride. However, we need to get the regulator/alternator and generator problems resolved before that. Without them there is no way to charge the batteries.  Just between the fridge and freezer, anchor light and GPS for anchor alarm, the batteries loose about 1/4 of their charge overnight. Right now the only way to recharge them is to plug into shore power at a dock. His frustration is through the roof.  I don't blame him.  We definitely need this fixed ASAP.
    Pete has debated with himself if he should stop at Southport Marina for the highly regarded mechanics at Zimmerman"s or continue down to St. John's Marina, stopping at marinas every night, and have the work done at St. Johns.  
     There is nothing I can do from here that would ease his frustration and anger. This is when I feel our separation the most.   I still am unsure when I will be joining him.  Today, Debi completed her fourth and final chemo session.  She is looking at 2 weeks of hydration, but also a 10 session of cranial radiation over 2 weeks, as a precaution, but that has not been scheduled yet. MRI, CT and additional labs are also needed.
    Lots of hugs are being sent long distance as we say our good nights.

~ ~ ~ /) ~ ~    P & K

No comments:

Post a Comment