Sunday, April 10, 2022

April ~ and Our Last Week in Fort Pierce

     This is an aerial photograph taken and posted to the marina website.  PEKABU is in the photo! If you can't find her, look for the red roof. The dock to the upper right of the roof is I-Dock and we are the furthest out boat on the left of the dock. The red/maroon canvased sailboat is us! Kudos to Erick Gill for the great photo.


     Monday, 4/04/22 ~With the price of gasoline fluctuating around $4.49/ gal and the expense and availability of rental cars, it was cheaper for Pete to drive to Maryland and fly back than shuttling cars up the east coast. He left at 10pm on Monday, stopped in North Carolina and slept for an hour, then made it to Middletown, DE by 2pm. After stopping at our storage to leave some unnecessary stuff, Pete left the car outside the marina. Weather has slowed the recommissioning of boats, so the enclosed parking is still packed with boats on the hard. The gals in the office have our info on the car. George picked up Pete and the headed to The Bridges for dinner. Even the limited off-season menu was delicious. After dinner, George dropped Pete at La Quinta at BWI. Once checked in, showered and called me, he quickly fell asleep. His alarm went off at 5AM, allowing plenty of time to grab breakfast, transport to the airport and check in for his flight.

     Tuesday, 4/05/22 ~  Dave, MV ARGONAUT, drove me to Enterprise rental car for 9 AM pick up. When IDed myself, I was told they tried to call to say they had no car to give me. I missed the call due to “sleep mode” on my phone. I tried calling other places. Either they didn’t answer or hung up. I had no option but to wait until a car was turned in. I finally reached Howie and he was able to pick Pete up from Ft Lauderdale Airport (a 20 min ride from their place; 2 hours from Ft Pierce!) By 10:15, I was told a car was getting new tires and I could have it once they picked it up. The customer service rep was really nice and invited me outside where an Audi G7 was waiting for me. Beautiful car, but noisy, and the engine surge when engine restarts at stop is a bit disconcerting. I was finally underway at 10:45 and on my way to Ann & Howie’s. We enjoyed an abbreviated lunch at Jack’s. Howie had an appointment at 2 in Lake Worth. On our return up 95 we encountered a brief but extremely intense down pour. We stopped at Publix for a few last-minute items. Once back at the marina, the news reported funnel clouds, torrential rain, flooding and wind damage just south of the marina. The strange weather of 2022 continues!

     Thursday, 4/07/22 ~ We had appetizers with Michael, Barbara and Dave aboard ELAN and a wonderful time. These people have lived life to the fullest!

     Friday, 4/8/22 ~ We had a farewell dinner with Melissa & Mike at Cobb’s. Good food, great company and Melissa coaxed me to join her on the dance floor. Melissa also gave me a beautiful set of silver sunburst earrings with larimar. They will be spending the summer in Cape Charles, VA. If possible, we will visit them when our schedules allow. We need to coordinate that in the not-too-distant future.

     Saturday, 4/9/22 ~ We looked forward to our breakfast over at the farmers market for our last time this trip. Pete’s fresh squeezed orange juice, beef empanada, and cherry cheese Danish as well as my smoothie and sticky bun were delicious.
     On our way back, we stopped in at the marina office to talk with Ann about the annual contract. Info on new rules contract - no pay until 8/1, then monthly. When not here, drop liveaboard and extra fees. New contract will be mid-summer.
     Once back, we took advantage of the great weather: temps in the low 70’s, with the humidity was low and the breezes from the east kept it very comfortable. Pete used the power washer to clean the exterior and prep for departure. I worked on all the stainless and cleaned the windows. And yep, the detailer never called or showed.

~ ~ ~ /) ~ ~   K & P

No comments:

Post a Comment