Sunday, December 10, 2017

Riviera - Take 2

     The past week and a half have flown by. 
Lola's Seafood - YUM!
     Ann helped me find the makings of my Christmas ornaments. The days of shopping and the assembly did require nourishment, so we enjoyed our lunches at Poppies and the Club.  Pete and Howie joined us for dinners at Jack’s Italian Restaurant and Lola’s Seafood.  Between lasagna and lobster rolls how could we go wrong!
     Pete was able to scrub the boat thoroughly and finally remove a month worth of salt off the hull. Unfortunately, washing also confirmed that our side windows in the salon are sill leaking. The enclosure has been rolled so that we can enjoy the beautiful, warm weather and great breezes. Bailey also had a bath!
    As Pete enjoyed the relaxation after all those projects, he discovered that when he slipped on one of the sail handling lines, he strained his back.  The spasms were still there 2 days later, when Howie and Pete were supposed to play a round of golf.  In stead we enjoyed the visit and the original movie, “Jumanji.”
    On Saturday,12/2, we were up and out by 4:30 am.  We did a one day run up and back to Charleston to retrieve the Acura. We missed the traffic and were back at Riviera Marina by 9 pm.
     Of course, regular chores, cleaning, laundry and food shopping are done as needed, but we also wrote and mailed Christmas cards and have begun the holiday shopping.
Fish be a-jump'in!
     One morning, as I started my walk, there was strange splashing from the beach area by the dock entrance.  Apparently is was breakfast time for the Jacks (fish).  They had pushed the mullets into the shallow waters at the shore line and as a group, attack schools of fish that attempted to find deeper water. It would be quiet for a few minutes, then the splashing and fish jumping would start.  I stood mesmerized for over a half hour.
PEKABU in her dock for
the next 2 months
     Speaking of walking, I try to get my 2 miles in by crisscrossing all the access roads, park and all the docks here at the marina. The heat and humidity are not my friends, but I am managing.  In the process, I usually say “hi” to a number of folks, but there are time I have actually stood and chatted.  One of the most interesting ladies I met, was aboard a 45’ catamaran, THE DAWN TRADER.  She, her husband, three children and the dog became liveaboards about the same time as we did.  They sold everything in Arizona, she left as a newscaster and her husband left his medical practice.  They have been here in Riviera for 7 months. Dad is working with a few medical practices in the area, two of the three kids are attending the local schools and the oldest is doing school online.  They plan to set sail for the Bahamas soon, then head over to Puerto Rico for a while to help with the recovery efforts. I hope to follow their progress via the web.
Our view of the marina at twilight
     The blog has been written, but the photos need processing and the internet needs to be optimal.  The times I have attempted to post, each photo takes 5+ minutes to load.  It is a bit frustrating.  I will have to do this during the week, when fewer people are using the internet.
     When I put it down on paper, it doesn’t seem like a lot, but I have been constantly busy no time for reading.  I hope to update about every week while we are here.

     Hope your plans for the holidays are on schedule!

 ~~~ /) ~~ K & P

No comments:

Post a Comment