Wednesday, March 28, 2018

St. Augustine to Fernandina, FL

Today:    60 miles, 9.1 hours, ICW St. M 1851.1
Total:     1846.4 miles, 305.1 hours

Sunrise as we left Comachee Marina
     Pete walked Bailey, then filled up the gas can for the dinghy and the jar of diesel for the filter exchange. I got everything ready to leave when he returned. We were underway at 8 am.
     It was calm and cool as we entered the Tolomato River.  Pete had another busy workday, so I was at the helm most of the day. The ride north is beautiful, and I was really able to enjoy the scenery because the current was once again against us until we entered “Roscoe Row,” Palm Shores. Dolphin families usually show up on the lower portion of the river, but manatees like the narrower canal.
Dolphin Family on the Tolomato

A Pelicans Gathering
Our wake
     While in “Roscow Row,” the current changed and I finally increased speed from the mid 5’s to the high 7’s mph.  To make things a little more interesting, I watched a fast boat come up from my rear. As he got closer, I could see the structure was some sort of an official enforcement vehicle.  It was the Immigration and Border Patrol.  He slowed to idle about 100 feet from me and gently passed on my starboard, but he hit the gas for the 3-450 HP engines just as he passed my bow and waked me. Only to stop ¾ of a mile ahead to pass/check out another sailboat.  I spotted 3 manatees along this canal.  I hope they were not in Immigration’s path.
Reflections of Red 42
Tolomato River Shore Line
     Well those high 7’s quickly became high 8’s and low 9’s, once in the Pablo River.  The Navionics’s Sonar Charts were super to follow for the skinny areas from here north.  The current was definitely with me, but near low tide. Things got more interesting at the bridge when I saw the small cruise ship, AMERICAN STAR, approaching from the north as I was approaching from the south.  After communicating, he sped up while I slowed down to idle (still doing 5 mph) and navigated in still deep water, closer to the banks, giving him room. Things went well for both of us and we continued on our courses.  While going through the next bridge, we reached 10.2! Thankfully, the southbound power boat heard the conversation with AMERICAN STAR and called to say he would hang back until I cleared. I love it when fellow boaters are courteous and considerate. Pete was still involved with work, so I stayed at the helm until we approached the skinny area where, last fall, we used BOB423’s waypoints.  Pete wanted to make sure it would not be a problem at low tide.
Railroad bridge closed and in use!
     I did eventually pass that sailboat, OSPREY, but they caught up when we got to the railroad bridge.  The guide book states that it “is usually open, but will close for a train.”  I kept looking and finally asked Pete to look, as it appears to be closed. I tried to call on 09 to verify, but there was no response. Sure enough, a train started to cross as he looked.  We waited about 10 minutes and it opened. Once it closed, OSPREY and PEKABU continued on to Fernandina to request a mooring ball for the night.  Originally, we were going to anchor off Cumberland Island, but thought it would be easier to walk dog from here with the ambient light from the factories and town.
    After dinner we read and watched the sunset. Pete decided to take Bailey for her last walk at 8 pm, while there is still some light. A bit more reading, we called it a night. Tomorrow, we head up to Jekyll Island, Georgia and into unexplored territory for us.  There is no window for us to make the outside jump and we need to keep moving north. We need to head back north by April 6th for Mom and for the grandkids we will be sitting while their parents take a well needed vacation.
Tonight's Sunset in Fernandina

~ ~ ~ /) ~ ~ K & P

No comments:

Post a Comment