Thursday, April 19, 2018

Hilton Head to B & B Shrimp, Mosquito Creek, Green Pond, GA

Today:    46 miles, 7.9 hours, ICW
Total:     2117.4 miles, 328.2 hours

     The winds really picked up overnight.  Even in this protected harbor surrounded by 3-storied buildings and tall trees, the boat healed at the dock.  The wind also blew the enclosure, making the chain, that weighs it down the bottom of the enclosure, clang onto the seats periodically through the night.  It was loud enough to wake me each time it clanged.
     We were ready for departure around 8 am, but needed transfer to fuel dock for a fill-up before entering the lock. By 8:30 we were once again heading north.
     Pete has another work project that will take all morning, so I spent it at the wheel.  The current and wind were against us for most of the day. Crossing the Port Royal Sound was messy and slow.  Once we were heading up the Beaufort River, the current was in our favor.
     Our instruments on the pedestal are giving us problems.  The RPM needle no longer works. Pete pulled it apart and cleaned the contacts. It worked for about 5 minutes then quit again. We set the engine speed by what sound about right. The volt meter seems to be misrepresenting the readings, but we have confirmed that we are indeed charging the batteries while motoring.  We also have to watch the engine temperature.  It seems to vary a few degrees up and down when we are cruising. This is concern and Pete plans to change the engine impeller once we are in Charleston. We constantly have steam coming out the exhaust and when the engine is straining, we see black smoke.  We probably need to have the rings checked/replaced on the engine once we are home.
     I mentioned this because as we approached Beaufort, I needed to increase the RPMs to make the noon opening of the Ladies Island Bridge.  Instead, I slowed down to time the 12:30 opening.  As I was slowly making my way north, a tug came up behind me. I asked him to pass, explaining that I was trying to time my arrival with the 12:30 opening.  Once he passed and put about 1000 feet in front of me, he called to let me know that he was going through the bridge and I could follow him.  I called the bridge tender, who said I could pass as long as I was right behind the tug. I increased speed, but there was no way I could close the distance. I backed it down and told the bridge tender I would wait for the 12:30 opening.  Looking at all the traffic backed up on the bridge once it was closed again, she probably should have let me pass a minute behind the tug rather than 14 minutes later, stop current bumper-to bumper traffic again for another 5 minutes for me to pass, backing traffic up even further. I know, I know…there are rules to follow.
     The skinny areas were not a problem this afternoon as the tide was up. Green marker 177 on the Ashepoo Cut still looks like it will be high and dry at low tide.  We made sure that we gave it a wide berth.
     As we approached B & B, Elijah was waiting for us on the dock. Once secure, Pete took Bailey for her walk and I went in to pay up and buy 3 pounds of fresh, off-the-boat this morning, shrimp and Texas Pete’s Cocktail Sauce.  Pete wanted some shrimp cocktail for dinner tonight and I didn’t have horse radish to make the cocktail sauce.
     I pealed all the shrimp and put 1/3 in to boil, and two other packages into the freezer.  The cocktail sauce was really good and dinner … YUM!
     B & B is not a marina. It is a working dock for shrimpers. Hence, it has no facilities, water, electric, or wifi, but a great deal for fresh shrimp!  With the changes in Garmin and Active Captain, there are no recommendations anymore for here.  It is a shame, as it is a great place to stop, especially with a dog.  Just yesterday, Garmin/Active Captain set out an email stating that starting May 23 will launch their new site.  We will make sure that our recommendation for B & B will get entered.
     After dinner we read, Bailey was walked, and we called it a night.

~ ~ ~ /) ~ ~ K & P

No comments:

Post a Comment