Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Spending Time in Brunswick

Reflections in old, glass window
 
Basil's Restaurant
               Sunday, 4/1  - I took advantage during my walk this morning to take a number of photos from around town with my phone.
     The community had a wonderful Easter Brunch.  Since the marina was supplying the ham, wine, beer and soda, we had to bring a and appetizer, side, or desert. I figured my Pineapple Bread Pudding would be a great side for the ham. I checked my pantry, but I needed some things from the store. While I did my 2.5-mile walk around town, I found the local grocery shop, Adam’s Market. It was small, with limited selections, but I was able to get my canned pineapple, eggs and bread.
Easter Brunch - Deviled egg chicks
     There were probably 70-80 cruisers and a huge variety of food in the Cruiser’s Lounge. Cheese, crackers, veggies dip, vegetable casseroles, mashed, scalloped, and sweet  potatoes, just to name a few of the sides. Pete loved that there were 5 different potato salads and 8 different deserts including a large sheet cake, Cherry Pie and ice cream. My dish was empty, so I guess it was a hit. (Some thought it should be a dessert.) We sat with an interesting group of 10.  Definitely long-term cruisers with a lot of wonderful stories to share as well as dealing with the crazy immigration people, policies (and bribes!) Our table was one of the last to empty.  We figured we would be there for about 2 hours, then return to scrub the boat.  Well, were among the last to leave. . . 4 hours later! Needless to say, the boat was not scrubbed today!

     Monday, 4/2 - We woke to heavy fog; beautiful, but glad we weren't traveling on the water today.
     Pete had requested a pick-up by Enterprise for 8:30 am, but was told that the driver, would be busy until 9.  It turns out the driver called to say he was waiting at 8:40, so off Pete went. 
Antique Steam Engine used as a winch
     Once back, we put in the dogie barrier/blanket into the car for Bailey, grabbed our travel equipment bag, and cooler and headed to St. John’s Marina. The plan was to be there by 11 and be back by “2-ish.” Once again, “The best laid plans. . . .” There was a lot of vacation travelers; some were snow birds driving back home to northern states from winter homes in the south; others were heading north with their RVs. Families were also taking advantage of spring break, with their cars loaded with kids, luggage, and toys. We got caught in a 5-mile back-up that took about 50 minutes to clear.  The was a chain-reaction accident involving 6 cars, with most locked together, bumper to bumper.  As we approached 95’s exit ramp to head to St. John’s, there was a noticeable backup on the ramp and road for getting back onto 95. I searched for alternate routes, and the River Road cut though Yemassee, which I took last trip, would take us north of the congested overpass. I continued to monitor the area on Google Maps.  The ramp was just a little slow, but below and above the ramp became more red. There was no option for avoiding this area, but we were able to avoid the additional backup on 95 by jumping over to Rt. 17 from the ramp.  We probably added another 25 minutes to our driving time, but it was better than crawling at 0-5 mph for 8 miles on 95, for who knows how long!
    It was a much longer trip than we had planned.  We expected 5-5.5 hours, but it wound up being 8 hours.  We were very glad to get back to the boat and were rewarded with a magnificent sunset.
Definitely one of my favorite!
     Tuesday, 4/3 -  It was sunny and mild so I made sure I got out to walk, once again with my trusty camera that has a phone attached to it.  Once back, it was time to do another thorough cleaning of the boat. After he scrubbed the exterior, Pete helped me on the interior.  By mid-afternoon, we were tired, but PEKABU looked great!
The colorful Indigo Restaurant

Advertising from the past

City Hall
Bailey is really exhausted watching us work.
Pete's sneaker is a great pillow
.
     Wednesday, 4/4 – The skies were heavy with rain clouds.  I figured it would be a great day to take advantage of the free laundry.  Around 8:45 am I was able to start 3 loads of wash.  Only one other washer was in use.  About 10 minutes later, others had the same idea.  Apparently, all the washers, between both buildings, were in use and people now had to wait. I enjoyed talking with another cruisers. One woman just moved aboard last fall, and they have really enjoyed their cruise down to Key West.  They are returning north to Bohemia Marina in Maryland.  We know that marina well.  We had PEKABU II there for years. After relocating to Castle Harbor, we wintered there on the hard, when we needed to paint the bottom and make repairs to PEKABU II and III.
     Later in the afternoon, I used up my tomatoes to make bruschetta. Tonight is cocktail hour up in the cruiser’s lounge.
     At 5, we and our neighbors, Tom and Lisa, MV ADVENTURER, rode over to the cruiser’s lounge.  There were about 30 people and about 25 different appetizers. Pete and Tom opted to claim seats. Pete’s knees and Tom’s back were both painful today.  Lisa and I mingled and spoke with others. I wound up spending time with Mary Beth and Charlie, SV GREY GOOSE.  They are from Millsboro, DE and keep their boat in Oxford, MD.  Another couple we will probably see again!
Sunset from the screened porch at the Cruiser's Lounge

No comments:

Post a Comment