Thursday, April 23, 2020

Week Two in St. John’s, SC

Friday. 4/17/20 ~  While Pete prepped for a 10:30 conference call, I was able to scrub the floors.
     Once the call was complete, Pete and I headed out to “forage.”  BJ’s was first on our list.  Since it was about 35 minutes from here, we stopped at a Chick-Fil-A for salad lunches.  Once done at BJ's, we headed to Harris Teeter and the Post Office.  The only thing I didn’t get was Clorox wipes.  The stores were pretty empty of people, but pretty well stocked.  There are now concerns about meat processing plants and the food supply. Smithfield Pork processing is closed due to so many employees testing positive. We are going to keep the freezer full when possible, just in case.

Saturday, 4/18/20 ~ I enjoyed the view from the cockpit by chillin’, relaxing and reading, while Pete gave Bailey a bath and then headed to Lowe’s.  All he needed is a specific tool, but there were only 2 cashiers and a line that went to the back of the store.  He decided to come back to the store during the week, and hopefully, find less people. He also picked up some French Bread so I can make sausage and pepper Parmesan for dinner.
     Being such a pretty day, he headed over to try fishing again.  He did a lot of casting, but no catching! Perhaps another day.
     Today was the second internet meeting of CCYC, our sailing club on the Chesapeake.  There were about 15 “boats” attending and not just from the Chesapeake area (Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey) but 2 from Big Majors Cay in the Bahamas, Florida, Arizona, and 2 of us in South Carolina.  It was so much fun, Mike said he would host one every 2 weeks.  It is a great way to catch up with friends.  Next time I will make sure that we have snacks and drinks!
     We just chilled after dinner.

Sunday, 4/19/20 ~ The morning was wonderful. It was sunny, low 70’s gentle breezes and a great time to take a walk and take a photo or two. 
       
     It was good that we took advantage of such a nice morning.  By 1:30 the storm front approached.  Winds increased, thunder and lightning was around us and the heavy rains began.  Pete read and helped me defrost and repack the freezer.  I wrote the blog and am caught up.  However, I now need to process the remaining photos so I can blitz the posting.  Hopefully, it will be completed in a few days.  That’s my goal. Hope it works!

Monday, 4/20/20 ~ Another severe weather front was predicted between 2 and 10 am. Thankfully, it never fully materialized.  We had some heavy rains and some wind, but nothing unusual.
    After breakfast, I exercised on board. Since I couldn’t shake headache, I opted to catch a nap for a good part of the afternoon. It did help.
     Pete after some work, Pete headed out to get his tool at Lowe's. This time there were no lines. Once back, he sat up above to read.

Tuesday, 4/21/20 ~ Right now the fridge is more full than usual as we are making sure we are pretty well stocked.  However, the ice was pretty thick on the element so I had to unpack it and defrosted the fridge.  I took advantage of the defrosting time to get in my walk. Pete cleaned it up so that I could put everything back in.
     It was fun taking some photos of flowers on the walk.  I do miss gardening, but at least I can enjoy others' efforts.
        

        
It was cool seeing a cabbage that had bolted and a leaf that looked black brown really being iridescent in colors.
     After lunch, Pete headed over to fish. Unfortunately it hasn't become "catching" yet.
     It was the prefect time to proof the blog and prep the photos. I was able to post more to the blog!

Wednesday, 4/22/20 ~ While the car was being serviced, we ran some errands.  While shopping last week, I mistakenly picked up a bag of self-rising flour instead of all purpose flour.  Since the store was not accepting any returns, I still purchased the flour needed plus a few other items.  When the cashier checked the bag that had the wrong flour, I explained what had happened and asked if she or anyone she knew could use it. Thankfully it will be put to great use instead of the trash!
     We also needed a few things from Walmart, where I found some yarn and crochet needles for Pete's mom. She is bored so she asked the staff for yarn and needle, but they are very light and hard for her to work with.  Hopefully, she like the colors and thicker textures of the three skeins we purchased.  Our next stop was the Post Office so we could send it on its way.

Thursday, 4/23/20 ~ Pete and George were busy with a rush project all morning.
     I was able to post more to the blog, so I am pretty caught up since I am doing a week at a time while in port. Perhaps I will update today's after dinner and post.  Then I will be current! YEA
     It looks like we are in for another good storm later today. Winds are already picking up and will continue into the mid 20's tomorrow.
      By 5 pm, the storm had arrived.  Winds drove the rains for a good 2-3 hours.  We could barely see the bridge about 100 feet away.  We found two small leaks: one in the starboard hatch coming though the gasket, the other from the hatch in the bathroom, gasket again. Thankfully, it were very slow leaks.  The rain was so heavy that we couldn't get any satellite reception for the TV, but it was a good opportunity to read.

~ ~ ~ /) ~ ~  P & K

No comments:

Post a Comment