Thursday, February 28, 2019

Stock Island ~ Week Four ~

Saturday, 2/23/19 ~ House cleaning and laundry chores done. I even had some time to rest and elevate my foot.
     I am glad I did! Pete and I decided to head over to Mallory Square to see the sunset.  We got lucky and found a parking garage right by Margaritaville Marina.  As we walked up along the waterway, we passed the cruise line docks.  Currently, two ships were getting ready to cast off.  As we passed the Disney’s MAGIC, she blew her horn for departure.  Instead of the single horn blast to indicate its departure, we heard the notes of “When you Wish upon a Star” as sounded on the ship’s horns!  Definitely COOL! Once they departed the sea birds came to the pilings to also watch the sunset.  We decided to grab a bench at Margaritaville to watch the sunset, due to the smaller crowds, plus, less time on my sore ankle.  I did move into a different position as the sun set.  No green flash tonight but still a beautiful site.  Stopped for ice cream to top off the evening.  Great way to celebrate another great day with my special guy!

Sights from our downtown sunset ~
          

          

          

  


Local hangout gone to the birds!
Sunday, 2/24/19 ~ The breezes are light today, but it is hot and humid. We drove to Old Town Key West. The streets were crowded with tourists from all 3 cruise ships.  We decided to skip our walk and just drive around.  We stopped along A1A just to watch the water, clear skies and boats out on the water.

Monday, 2/25/19 ~ Babied my ankle for most of the day.  No exercise, but worked on trying to finish processing the of Deb’s photos.  My confidence with Elements is increasing.
     I was surprised when I received a reminder phone call for my appointment with my cardiologist.  I thought it was for next month. It is really for tomorrow in Miami. Guess how we will be spending tomorrow!

Thursday, 2/26/19 ~  We were up and out by 6:30 am.  It was a 3 ½ hour drive each way to Miami. Had the appointment been next month, we would have been much closer to Miami. I know, the big question is why am I seeing a cardiologist in Miami? Well, 3 years ago while here in Key West, I had a serious heart attack.  I was air lifted to Miami and he was assigned to me.  This doctor is very respected by fellow doctors and staff, he has great bedside manners, listens to his patients, and is comfortable sharing his knowledge with his patients. Pete and I have a better understanding of medical issues than many others.  This doctor respects that and answers our questions. We will continue to drive down from the Chesapeake twice each year for my appointments and make arrangements to make the other two while we are cruising. 
      We stopped for lunch at our favorite BBQ place by the hospital, Shorty’s BBQ. Then it was back on the road to head back to Key West.  Bailey was sure happy to see us when we got back around 5.

     Wednesday, 2/27/19 ~ Pete and I needed to stop by the Social Security office in Key West.  After we were done there, we headed to Duncan Donuts for a treat. We then ran a few more errands and stopped at a few more stores, before heading back to the marina.
     I checked with Deb and Judith to see if they needed a grocery run.  Since we plan to leave on Friday, I have to provision a bunch of food supplies.  Between the 3 of us, there was very little free space in the car once I scientifically packed our bags.
     Pete took advantage of the free time to wash Bailey, and do some of the last minute checks.
     Deb, Hugh, Pete and I left around 6 to head into Key West.  We have reservations for Santiago’s Bodega for 7:15. That gave us time to check out Mallory Square.  The clouds were pretty remarkable and I was able to get a few good photos.  There was a golden retriever who took tips and deposited them into the tips bucket.  He also walked the tight rope, then curled up to catch a few Z’s on the platform.
         

   

. . .and the rain's a'comming
     As we watched the approaching sunset, the clouds thickened, and rain was on the horizon.  We decided to head out ahead of the crowds.  We were about a half hour early for our reservation, but they were ready for us.  Deb & Hugh had recommended it and we are so glad that they did!  Each of the tapas dishes were delicious.  Each time we completed a dish, a server would ask if we would like to order another. Even dessert was remarkable. We now know how such a small establishment could have a 4.5-star review from over 5000 customers!

          

        

     Thursday, 2/28/19 ~  We picked up the rental car by 9 so that we could drop the Acura off in Marathon.  Once back, I did 3 loads of laundry (and used up all the money on my coin card for the machines). Pete did the final checks on the boat, so we are all set to leave tomorrow after picking up fuel.
     We spoke with the kids.  Chris said that they had a great time at Wolf Lodge.  The girls didn’t want to get out of the water.  When they did, they went to sleep with little effort. As of tonight, the girls have no school tomorrow due to the 6+” of snow that is expected. We also called Heather to wish her a happy birthday.  She had a celebration at work and will be going out with friends this weekend.
     Our time in Key West is coming to an end. At 5, we once again gathered with our friends on the dock for drinks and hors d’oeuvres.  This time it is to wish us a safe, return cruise home. Many hugs for many friends.  We will keep in touch and hopefully, we will cross paths again!

~ ~ ~ /) ~ ~  K & P


No comments:

Post a Comment