Friday, February 8, 2019

Stock Island ~ Week One

The Navy airstrip is as busy as ever!
Saturday, 2/2/19 ~ Pete did outside chores while I did a thorough cleaning of the boat interior. It was over due.
     There is a lot of construction going on here out by the street.  The dog park is now surrounded by construction fencing, but is still open.  The community garden is gone and the peahens have been confined into a small pen behind the gym for their safety.

Sunday, 2/3/19 ~ Pete did a systems check while I completed the interior cleaning and did the laundry.  I know, it is not the best way to spend time here in Key West, but it is a necessity, and the sense of accomplishment when it is done makes it worth while.
     Pete also took out the bike to ride over to Publix to get a few things.  This is the first time in over a year, that when the bike came out of the locker, it didn't have a flat!
FRED, the manatee

Monday, 2/4/19 ~  I went and inventoried all the food on board so I could compile my shopping list.  Once done, I downloaded photos and worked on the blog, getting it ready for posting.  Everything is written and now only the photos need to be prepped.
 
Tuesday, 2/5/19 ~  I was up and out to get to the hotel gym by 9 am.  Unfortunately, they have now made it key card accessible for hotel guests only.  RATS!!!  I came back to the boat and exercised on board.
      Pete had a frustrating day.  His computer stopped connecting to the WiFi/internet.  He and George must have spent an hour or more trying to figure out the cause and possible solutions.  Somehow, the bad juju was caught by his phone.  He could no longer access his email or respond.  When one's business depends on emails it is a real problem.  He was able to set up my computer for his emails, which also meant that his customer files residing on his computer needed to be transferred to my computer for mailings.  I stayed out of the way, sat in the cockpit and read.
Before I sat to read, I walked around to capture some photos from around the marina ~

          

        
     I touched base with both Carolyn and Ann this afternoon. Just as I completed my phone calls, Deb, SV SIMPLICITY, stopped by to catch up.  We also agreed to head over to the marina gym tomorrow at 8:30 am.  Deb has been very busy completing the modules for her new online venture, as a Life Coach. She is perfect for it.  I wish I had her energy and enthusiasm. She is amazing!
     She and Hugh would like us to join them on Friday or Saturday (depending on work schedules) to head out sailing and anchor overnight.  Hugh is checking our anchorages.
     Deb has also asked if I could photograph her for her business cards and website.  I have never done any head shots, but will do some research and give it a try.  A great subject to learn with!

Wednesday, 2/6/19 ~  Deb and I headed over to the gym as planned.  It is a well equipped, but closed in and poorly ventilated.  There we 3 other people there before us.  I was able to do 7 miles on the bike before getting on the treadmill to walk another mile and a half while Deb did some yoga and cardio.  Hugh stopped by and invited me to join them for breakfast at De Lunas here on the property, but I needed to get back to the boat.
     After dinner, I headed out to try some night time shots ~   

 

        


Thursday, 2/7/19 ~  Since Deb has a meeting this morning, I exercised on board.
Great photo of two
very special friends!
     Pete continued his woes with the internet connections. I’m so glad he can use my computer.  My blog entries will wait a bit longer to be posted.
     After lunch, Deb and I headed out to take some photos.  We started in the Captain’s Lounge.  With all the windows and the plum walls, it was a great place to start. Over at the hotel, we used a blue wall near the entrance as well a natural wall of greenery.  Hugh showed up as we were finishing up.  I was able to catch Deb and Hugh in a candid moment, which is my favorite photo of the day because it was so spontaneous. 
     We headed over to the bar for a drink.  They opted to stay and have dinner at The Salty Oyster, so I headed home to Pete and the Chicken Parmesan for our dinner.

Friday, 2/8/19 ~ While Deb and I exercised, we met Judith from SV SERENITY.  She wanted to know if we were having problems with connecting to the internet.  She walked back the docks with us and of course we invited her to join us tomorrow.  Deb will put the Yoga up on the TV for all of us to participate.
Fenders no longer needed by
SV SERENITY
     Judith is brand-new to boating & sailing.  She has been on the sailboat for just about 1 week.  Her husband is in IT, but he could not identify the problem Judith has been having with her computer connecting to the internet via long distance, as he is in Michigan. 
     When I got to PEKABU, Pete had picked up a WiFi USB adapter and it has done the trick! YEA!!!  I walked over to SERENITY and showed Judith the WiFi adapter box. She invited my on board and we visited for quite a while.  I was able to share a number of resources for boating as well answer a number of questions.  My quick visit was longer than I expected, but truly enjoyable.  We also made a date to explore Key West on Monday.
     When I got back, since I can use my computer, I tried to post to the blog, but something was up since it would not let me load the photos.  It waited this long, I guess it can wait longer.

~ ~ ~ /) ~ ~  K & P


No comments:

Post a Comment