Friday, March 13, 2020

Key West ~ The Final Week Six

Saturday, 3/7/20 ~ We enjoyed sitting above, reading and talking with the family from Montreal who are currently aboard the Air BnB.  Bailey is especially fond of the dad. Heading back from her walks, she will beeline to the catamaran and wait, with tail going a frantically, until she is noticed and he comes off the boat to say “hi.”
Navy jets ripping the air
And maneuvers in the clouds
        
     Around 7 pm tonight, the Navy launched its flight squadron.  They were circling the airfield at different circumferences and heights.  It was quite eerie with the noise from the jets, and their lights fading in and out as they passed through the intermittent clouds, which were back lit by the full moon. For some reason, it made me think of War of the Worlds. Thankfully, the exercise was over by 8:30.

Sunday, 3/8/20 ~ We decided to take a ride.  Called Debbie and Mike, SV RESLOVE, to see if they were free to grab a bite to eat.  It was definitely a pretty day to take a ride up the Keys.  We met them at the Florida Keys’ Steak and Lobster Restaurant.  Since it was “Linner,” we had dinner while they opted for appetizers. Pete really enjoyed his Phili Cheese Steak while I had a super Bacon Cheeseburger.
     Once back we enjoyed reading and watching the sunset.

The Fishing Fleet
Monday, 3/9/20 ~ While Pete was walking Bailey this morning, he met a local diver who is cleaning boat bottoms on our dock.  He agreed to include ours. There was some bio growth, but the new ablative paint is harder than the one we have used in the past and has deterred growth.  There was only a little erosion on the zinc, but it was uneven.  It would have degraded much more quickly being pitted, etc. so Pete asked him to replace it with our new one.
     Pete continues to be very busy with work.  I did a quick vacuum while he ran an errand, but read up above once he returned.

Tuesday, 3/10/20 ~ Most of the news for the past month has been centered the CoVID-19 virus. It has exploded from a few hundred cases in China to thousands around the world. With its higher than flu death rate in the elderly and those with compromised immune systems, it was classified today by the World Health Organization as a Pandemic. Extraordinary steps are being taken by governments around the world, including quarantining entire countries. People are worried and have begun to empty shelves in grocery stores.
     After exercising, in preparation of beginning our trip north this weekend, I organized, and inventoried our provisions.  I also made up a substantial grocery list. We just want to be prepared if we cannot get into towns from any marina or anchorage for additional provisions on the way home. Hopefully, I will be able to get most of what is on my list. 
     Pete was able break from work to purchase and do an oil change.  Unfortunately, he ran out of time to drop off the used oil.

Wednesday, 3/11/20 ~ Pete was able to put in 2 and a half hours before our 10 am departure, when we headed up to my appointment in Miami.  We were an over an hour on the road, when the office called to say that the echo cardiogram tech is sick so it will need to be postponed, again!  However, the doctor can still see me if I wish.  We decided to continue. 
     Somehow, we got off the Florida Turnpike and on to local roads.  Unfortunately, 3 separate areas were crawling due to road construction. The 3-hour trip actually took 5 with all the delays. We made it with only 10 minutes to spare.  Pete had to take a conference call, so he waited in the parking garage, while I went in. It was a worthwhile appointment for reassessment. Since the tech is in every Wednesday afternoon, I can call, even the same day, to come in to have it done. The doctor will call with the results; hopefully, I will be able to stop the Warfarin.  I am dying to have a big salad!  We will probably wait 2 weeks, to allow time to get to West Palm Beach and retrieve the car.  In the meantime, I will have to find a lab for testing while in transit.
     We thankfully, didn’t have much traffic on the way home.  We did enjoy watching the sunset over the keys. 
Sunset over Seven Mile Bridge with determined scrub that has taken root on the original bridge ~
        
     Bailey did just fine while we were away, but she always protests us leaving her by “re-arranging” her bed and some of the area rugs.  This time it was no different.

Thursday, 3/12/20 ~ While Pete worked, I cleaned inside the boat.  For as long as I can remember, I drive Pete a little bit crazy. I have this compulsion that when we travel, the boat/house needs to be clean and in order. Since it makes me feel better, after 45 years together, he doesn’t comment. I also defrosted and inventoried the freezer.  Since there are still some meats and meals frozen, I want to make sure I have the meats I need going forward.
The Sea Slug came to visit again
     After cleaning, I headed over to do laundry.  Thankfully, there were 2 machines vacant so no wait.  Shortly after starting my laundry, the woman I met last week, who did the 6 loads, was back with 3 more.  This time she had to wait and stagger her wash.  With heavier loads, I did add additional time to the drier.  In the process I used all the monies I had on my card!  I know, it is the simple things that make me happy! In the past, I lost the unused amount remaining on the card. 
    After dinner, Pete and I took a walk to see the speed boats that were here after their poker run.  The boats were unbelievable with all that power.  There was even a designated tanker truck to refuel all the boats and a support mechanic & truck.  As we were walking by one boat, the mechanic informed the driver that he just found a major leak in the steering pump. Neither was very happy.

        

         

   For noisy machines they came and left very quietly ~
     
Friday, 3/13/20 ~ Pete once again is very busy.  I headed down to Publix, not knowing what I would find.  Thankfully, they were well stocked and I was able to get everything on my list, with the exception of the soft-soap refill and Clorox spray cleaner.  Those areas of the shelves were empty. What surprised me most was that the shelf for toilet paper was empty. (No, we don’t use regular TP on board.) Who needs that much TP?!
     Once home, I hurried to place perishables and meats into the fridge.  Pete had a conference call at 1:30 and needs quiet for it, so I read for the 90 minutes he was on the phone.  Once he was off, I started to put things away as well as seal the meats into individual meals with the vac-u-seal.
     He had errands that also needed to be done, so after the call, he headed out to dispose of the oil from the oil change, refilled the propane tank, and last-minute items at West Marine. He also stopped at the marina office to return the laundry card, let them know that we depart in the morning, and pick up the mail.  They have not received Bailey’s prescriptions.  I had to call the pharmacy and get the tracking number.  It was mailed this past Monday as promised, but it is still waiting for a signature. I will need to check with them on Monday.
     Pete was also able to speak with the Marina Manager.  He let her know how disappointed we are this year with the loss of the sense of community.  With 8 of the boats on our dock Air BnBs and 3 long term live-aboards, it wasn’t a very social dock.  And the community is the draw!  Pete suggested that they should consider putting all the BnBs on the same dock. The other thing to consider, which it would cost them nothing, is to include with their weekly emails that on Tuesday (or another day) at 6pm everyone is invited to bring appetizers and docktails to the picnic table at the top of a specific dock, or a covered dish for a pot luck dinner. She thought was a good idea.  Let’s just hope it can be implemented.
      He was supposed to also pick up Bailey’s prescriptions that should have arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, when I called the pharmacy, I was told it shipped on Monday as planned, but was still out for delivery.  They gave me the tracking number. Since I was in the process of walking Bailey, I made the notation in my phone.
     Pete and I headed over to Hogfish for dinner, which we have been looking forward to for a while.  We were not disappointed with the Hogfish and chips.  We were seated on the high tops that overlook the harbor.  We watched the pelicans, dolphin and manatee come to feed in our little corner of the harbor. Then we headed over to say goodbye to Key west from Mallory Square. Sunset, crowds, & performers. 

Taken from Hogfish ~ Key West signage, pelicans, manatee and dolphin fishing and large plan doing a fly-by ~
       

Mallory Square, for the last time this year! ~



        

       
     Once back, we did a final check for our departure in the morning.  It is hard to believe that 6 weeks passed do quickly.

~ ~ ~ /) ~ ~  P & K

No comments:

Post a Comment