Saturday, February 26, 2011

Nassau - Two Views

    A number of phone calls were made to the dock master’s office at Atlantis.  We will be charged the minimum of 40’ and “Yes” the amenities, tour of the Dig, and water parks are all included.  Most importantly, they have space for our three boats Sunday.
   Pete did laundry while I walked over to the shopping center.  I found a “Bed, Bath and Home” store. I decided to check them out, just for curiosity sake, as one of the sheet sets has seen better days.  I was really surprised to find a good set of 400 count cotton for BJ’s prices and no tax. Then it was over to the City Market.  I was able to get everything on my list except for my yogurt. The few remaining Dannon’s were out of date.  As I was checking out, I realized I bought a little more than I could carry. I had opted for 2 more gallon jugs of water and there was no room in my canvas bags.  No Worries (Wo)Man! The store had Simon push the cart over to the marina for me and help me load my bags onto the boat. He actually pushed the grocery cart right down the finger pier. Yesterday one woman at the end of our dock had provisioned her boat with 4 full grocery carts with 5 staff helping from the store. Talk about customer service!
     When I returned, I found out that Pete didn’t realize that my Ziploc bag of drier sheets (all 150 of them), were in the laundry bag.  He had dumped them into the washer along with the laundry and laundry bag. Unfortunately, the Ziploc was not completely closed and all the sheets were all over the washer. Pete just kept pulling them from the wash and stuffing them into the garbage can. They were overflowing the can.  The laundry room smelled great!  I needed to buy new softener sheets.
This was the final choice of where
to eat . . . a good one.
      We finally left the marina around 1 in search of the bus to take us to the Fish Fry.  We walked about 2 blocks, and with directions from a young couple were able to catch the right bus (#17). Though we needed to the other end of Bay Street, we took a very circular route, seeing all parts of Nassau. In the heart of downtown, we needed to change to the #10 bus out to the Fish Fry. I had no idea of what to expect. The Fish Fry is similar to the food stands at Potter’s Cay in that it is series of various eateries serving similar food, only these are bigger buildings with hawkers trying to convince you their establishment is the best.  When a place was finally chosen, the decision was made to eat upstairs, outside with a water view so that we would have the shade and the breeze.  With the water comes the view of the gravel and sand pits on the other side of the canal. That would have been OK, but the cigar smoke was not. Instead we somehow wound up in a very comfortable room, very air conditioned and to ourselves for most of the meal.  It was a great meal for everyone, plentiful and very tasty. 
     I was very happy Pete insisted we take a taxi back.  It gave us time to stop at the dive shop to try to get water shoes for the water park. Everyone else also wanted to stop at the shopping center for some last minute items.
      Since we had a late lunch, John offered to prepare some items that had defrosted in lieu of dinner, for around 7.  We gathered, ate and discussed how unbelievably things have worked out. The “kids” are real excited about Atlantis and so are we. If we get there by noon, we will have all afternoon to play, plus Monday morning until 11.
    I still can’t believe we are going to Atlantis by boat, our boat! 
~  ~ (\_~ ~ ~     Kathy and Pete 

No comments:

Post a Comment