Thursday, March 31, 2011

Walk into Harbor Town

     We listened to the Net this morning. One of the things that was requested was volunteers with fire department experience and / or donations for the local fire department.  They are running pretty thin on everything after fighting the fire for over two weeks, especially diesel. They were accepting donations at The Abaconion, which is the local newspaper.
     After doing a few things on the computer, I headed into town, where  I met up with Sue from Stolen Moments. We wound up talking for about 45 minutes in the sun.  Then I continued on in search of The Abaconion, which it turns out is about a mile from here.  Not a bad walk if done first thing in the morning, but now unfortunately it was close to 11 am; no shade, just HOT macadam.  I found the strip mall and walked by the store front 3 times as it is also a print shop.  Then it was off to find Maxwell’s Food Store.  I had passed the sign when I was on the main street, but the gal in the print shop gave me a short cut. Unfortunately, I made a wrong turn and walked a few blocks in the wrong direction before finding someone to ask for the right directions. I finally made it to Maxwell’s at noon.
     Maxwell’s is a new, clean, well stocked supermarket. Betty had properly described it as a small Publix, which carries a good variety of meats and produce as well as various gourmet items.  I was thrilled it had clean public rest rooms in which I was able to wash up and cool down.  As I checked out, my bag was heavy and the young man offered to carry it out for me.  I told him I was walking back to the marina and he asked if he could call me a cab.   I was glad to take him up on the offer.  My ride was already waiting outside.
   On my ride back, we talked and I found out that my driver’s brother has lost everything in the fire. The loss of his farm and all his animals has affected his health so much that he has been hospitalized in Nassau. I am really glad we made the donation this morning.
    Dan and Martha joined Betty and John here at our marina's restaurant for a wonderful dinner.  We learned that Jay and Pegg will be arriving tomorrow afternoon. After settling the check, we said our goodnights. 

    Once we had settled in for the night, there was a knock on our hull. Our server, Cloe, could not settle the bill as one of the numbers on the account was off.  It turned out it was Andiamo’s bill and not ours.  I radioed over to John and asked him to come up to speak with her and I returned below. A rather unique note to end the day.
~  ~ (\_~ ~ ~     Kathy and Pete    

No comments:

Post a Comment